After viewing the Artemision, we quickly took the bus over to the ancient city of Ephesus, on the other side of Mt. Panayr Dag. There, we discussed the Serapion (Temple of the Egyptian gods), including all of the implications of an egyptian cult in Ephesus. A really great site presentation and discussion.
From there, we hiked up Mt. Bulbul Dag to see the Cave of Paul and Thecla. Although the name is misleading, as this was not an actual cave where Paul was likely ever present, it is named for one of the paintings inside: the earliest known drawing of Paul!! Again--the earliest know depiction of Paul! This is so incredibly significant. We felt so lucky to even see the site, as it is both a hike away from the city and we only gained entrance thanks to our local connection, Gingas. The image was underneath another layer of plaster inside the cave, so it has been extremely well preserved and is in astounding condition. We were in awe. There were other paintings/drawings and graffiti in the cave, as well. But the depiction of Paul (and Thecla, and her mother) really captured our imaginations. I've included a pic of me with Paul below...

We had a quick lunch sitting half way up the mountain, as students took turns going inside the small, dark cave. I've included a pic from lunch, so you can (sort of) see how high up we were, and the amazing view that this hike afforded us of the ancient ruins at Ephesus!
On the way out of Ephesus, my classmate Chris spotted some icecream, which we felt obligated to try out (lol). As an expert, I can say that it was very good :)
Then, to our delight, we got the afternoon off! Thank you, James :) I'm headed now to another city with a few of the other students, for walking around/exploring and dinner. We've nearly tapped out all the restaurants here in Selcuk, so we thought we'd venture out a little further for tonight's meal.
But again, what an amazing day. We are all so appreciative to James for organizing this trip, and getting us in to all these "insider" sites. Unbelievable!
my love to all,
Krista

Sis,
ReplyDeleteOK--I'm coming over!!! Wow--how amazing! You got to be just super excited about the trip---once in a lifetime experience! I sure hope you are taking lots of pictures. We (Mom and I) are keeping up with your blog everyday.
When do you get back to Boston?
Love YOU!!!
Dad
are you giving me a peace sign in your pic?
ReplyDeleteand they even have ice-cream, you must be well-pleased :)
really cool stuff sis, interesting to hear about, keep the blogosphere running.
Thanks for the comments, family :)
ReplyDeleteHey bro. In the pic, I'm mimicking Paul's fingers. The "two finger" sign is the sign of preaching in the ancient world, scholars believe. Or this is what we've been told, anyway... :)
miss you all!!
love, sis
You sure he's not pointing out the emergency exits? I've seen flight attendants use the same gesture.
ReplyDeleteKrista, thank you for sharing your journal. Do you any photos of the Bulbul Dag cave's triptych of Paul, Thecla and the unidentified woman to their left? I am trying to identify her, possibly her mother Theocleia or her protector, Queen Tryphaena. Lee
ReplyDelete