

Hello friends and family! This will be my attempt to keep everyone up to date on my trip to Turkey. I am traveling to the ancient city of Ephesus, as well as some of its surrounding areas, as part of a BU seminar course in Early Christianity.
We leave tomorrow. So very excited!! We will go from Boston to New York, then 10+ hours to Istanbul. Then a short flight to Izmir, and I believe from there we are taking a one hour bus ride to Selcuk. It will be a very long day, but my hope is that all my packing tonight will make me plenty tired to sleep on the plane ride there. Staying awake once we land in Turkey will be key to fighting the jetlag!
My presentation will be on the ancient city of Didyma (not shown on the map above, but south of Ephesus). Specifically, I'll be talking about the oracle at the Temple of Apollo in Didyma (the ruins in the picture above). The ruins of this temple are still pretty impressive today, and I'm excited to walk my group through what the temple layout and function would have meant for the people of its day. This is especially exciting for me, as I'll be writing on the Oracle at Delphi in my dissertation (the most significant oracle in the ancient world), and the opportunity to think through other, minor oracles--in person--is a crazy opportunity!!
I want to say thanks to Melanie (& Peter) for letting me borrow the awesome camera (and the lightweight durable one, too)!! Any good pics to follow are because of them!
Alright. I need to get going for now. Hope to update asap!
my love to all (especially sweet Abbie, who is not feeling so well tonight)--
Krista

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteSis,
ReplyDeleteGlad that you made it safely! How exciting it must be to go back in time and see how the world used to be! Hope you get over the jet lag soon! Will be looking for updates!
Love YOU!!!!! Abbie is doing much better--still a little fever--but she is home now and seems to be doing OK.
Dad
Sis,
ReplyDeleteI changed my blog name to Dad! Sounds much better when writing to you.
Dad
Sis,
ReplyDeleteMom says hello. I am trying to get her blog set up so she can send you emails.
Dad
Hey Sis Just saw your blog. Looks GREAT!! Everything sounds so exciting!! See everything you can and enjoy every minute. Wish I was there with you. I enjoy the photos I appreciate Melanie sending her camera. Abbie is doing better. It will take some time to get rid of her cough. I was with Grandma Sat. and Sun.she is about the same. Keep writing!
ReplyDeleteHugs and Kisses
Mom